- To educate and train researchers with the capacity to plan and develop a biomedical research project.
- To offer a post-graduate training of quality that will allow the students to start a Doctorate in a basic or clinical research group.
- To teach the advanced techniques and experimental models used in biomedical research.
- To provide the necessary knowledge and tools to develop a successful professional career in investigation, management, communication, edition and the biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry, etc.
Basic Competences (annex I, section 3.3 of RD 861/2010)
- To possess and understand the knowledge for the development or application of original ideas in the research context.
- To know how to apply the knowledge, having the capacity to solve problems in new fields.
- To be able to integrate the knowledge and face the complexity of making judgments based on information, with social and ethical responsibilities.
- To know how to communicate your conclusions to other specialist and non-specialist audiences, in a clear way.
- To possess the ability for autonomous learning throughout life.
- To know how to select and apply the different molecular, biochemical, cellular, genetic and phenotypic methodologies for the diagnosis and study of the diseases.
- To know how to plan and carry out a research project using the scientific method and the correct technology.
- Capacity to work in a group, to lead and to make decisions.
- Critical and creative thinking in own work and also in the work of other researchers.
- Capacity to prepare, process and interpret the results, applying the correct technologies.
- To know how to orientate the research depending on the medical interest (diagnosis and therapy).
- Capacity to present scientific reports and scientific papers to be published.
- To recognize and value the importance of the studies in different unicellular and multicellular organisms as an experimental model, which are essential for the advance of medical and biomedical science.
- To value the importance of the protection of the intellectual property and the transference of knowledge to the industry.
- To identify and value the implication of the cell death phenomenon in multiple diseases.
- To recognize the high throughput techniques and be able to use bioinformatics tools in the data analysis.
- To know the national and European legislation about animal experimentation and to be able to elaborate an experimental procedure.
- To be able to design, monitor and value clinical trial protocols.
- To know how to identify molecules and important processes in the cells and to recognize the integral mechanisms that regulate the differentiation, proliferation and survival of the cells.
- To be able to design and execute experiments using animals as a model system.
- To teach the students how to identify the effects of the oxidative stress and the cellular mechanisms in response to the stress. Also, how to apply the detection and quantification methods for the free radicals and damaged molecular biomarkers.
- To express oneself correctly, both orally and writing.
- To be proficient mastery of a foreing language.
- To show skill in handing information and communication technologies.
- To respect the fundamental rights of equality between men and women, the promotion of the Human Rights, the values of a peaceful culture and the democratic values.